When my son told me he wanted to go to University at the beginning of this year, it threw us all into a bit of a panic as he had always said he didn’t want to go! We were miles behind in planning, hadn’t done any of the Uni open days and as neither Timm or I went to university, we didn’t have a clue!
We buckled down, got some visits done and he filled in all the applications. We went through so many uni websites trying to decided which would suit him best and eventually decided on three options.
He did well at college and got into his first option and so we started to plan for the big move. He decided he didn’t want to go into halls. His friend was starting his second year and they decided to get a house together. After much searching, and house visits, they decided on one and finalised plans to live there. Student financing was sorted and he was well on his way!
And then I started to think about all the stuff he was going to need and felt totally overwhelmed. But after a lot of research we pulled it together. Here is my Uni Packing list for parents.
- Bedding – Mattress protector, duvet, pillows, bedding
- Lamp and bulb
- Clothes, shoes, coats, underwear
- Things to make it their own – pictures, teddies etc
- Dirty washing bag
- TV, Games console
- Chargers and extension cables
- Plates, cups, bowls
- Chopping board
- Pots and pans
- Sandwich toaster
- Tea towels
- Toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap
- Razors and shaving foam?
- Toilet brush
- Toilet roll
- Washing powder/pods
- Toilet cleaner
- Washing up liquid and sponges
- Kitchen rolls
- Bin bags
- Shopping bags
- Tinned fruit/veg
- Tomato ketchup/salad cream/mayo
- Tinned beans and tomotoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Stationery, paper, laptop
- Cookbook or recipes from you
- Alarm clock
- Register to vote
- Register with a doctor
- Register with a dentist
- Have bank accounts
- Sort budgeting
- Sort bills etc
- Are they up to date with all vaccinations?
- Tell them you love them and give them a big hug
- Make sure their flatmate/roommate has your number in case of emergency
I’m sure this isn’t a full and complete list but it is everything I can think of right now. If you can think of anything else, then do let me know!